Visiting the Truckee donner region this winter season? where to find a great day on snowshoes or cross country skis? In all actuality there are far to many places to play in the snow near Truckee and donner summit. it is a stunning region for the explorer willing to make tracks. Here is a short list of some of the most popular areas for visitors to try for their day in the snow near Truckee.
Cross Country Skiing and Snowshoeing
- Royal Gorge – the largest cross country ski area in the West, now operated by Sugar Bowl. Located at Soda Springs
- Tahoe Donner – miles and miles of groomed cross country ski trails over varied terrain. Located north of Truckee.
- Acres upon acres of Backcountry snowshoeing.
- Northstar Cross-Country, Telemark, and Snowshoe Center provides 35 kilometers of trails. Explore easy, approachable terrain for all ages and ability levels so you and your family can enjoy the mountain together – whether it’s your first time or your 500th.
- Donner Summit Canyon trail – Snowshoe or ski from the parking area to the Kathy Polucha Kessler Memorial Picnic Area (the trail beyond this area is highly avalanche-prone in the winter)
- Johnson canyon – The Wendin Way Trail runs through Johnson Canyon and is accessed directly from the Donner Lake Exit on Interstate 80. The trail provides an incredibly scenic route for hikers, runners, and mountain bikers to connect with the Donner Lake Rim Trail. Johnson Canyon is one of the most popular winter trailheads in the area and is a popular site for wildlife and wildflower viewing.
- China Cove Trail Loop in Truckee is great beginner loop for snowshoeing. 3.2 mile loop features a lake area, This easy stroll around the lakeside and through areas of forest is an ideal place to bring young kids. there is a parking fee for this trail.
- Emigrant Trail Pick up the Commemorative Overland Emigrant Trail off of Hwy 89, north of Truckee, near Prosser Dam. The trail takes you across gently rolling hills and open valleys.
- Glacial way trailhead – If a nearby slopes with steady grades and stunning views of Donner suits your plans, then the Glacier Way Trailhead may be just the ticket. Take the trek that brings you to the top of Negro Canyon and you’ll be rewarded with a stunning view of Donner Lake.
Snow Play Areas
- Soda Springs – Tube Town and Planet Kids. Tubing and a moving carpet to the top of the hill for everyone and Planet Kids snow activities for children 8 and under.
- Boreal’s Playland Tubing – a moving carpet carries tubers to the top of the hill next to the ski area.
- Kingvale’s Tubes-R-Us – a sliding hill with a low admission price.
- Tahoe Donner Snowplay – tubing runs open to the general public, sleds and tubes included in price of admission. located north of Truckee.
Leave a Reply