National Park Service Seeks Public Comments on the Crystal Cave Area Rehabilitation and Redevelopment Plan and Environmental Assessment
SEQUOIA AND KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, CA– The National Park Service (NPS) has released a plan and environmental assessment (EA) for the redevelopment and rehabilitation of the Crystal Cave area within Sequoia National Park. Crystal Cave has been one of Sequoia National Park’s primary visitor attractions since 1940 when the cave was officially opened to the public. It is the only cave open for guided public tours within Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The purpose of the EA is to provide for an improved visitor experience at the Crystal Cave area in such a manner that reduces impacts, improves sustainability, meets legal requirements, and protects park natural and cultural resources.
The EA and supplementary information is available online at the NPS Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) website at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/CrystalCave, or you may contact the park at 559-565-4266 to request a CD copy. A limited number of printed copies are also available.
- The objectives of the EA are to:
- Provide a long-term vision for the Crystal Cave area.
- Protect the natural and cultural resources in the Crystal Cave area.
- Comply with laws, regulations, mandates, and other guidance.
- Provide for a better ‘sense of arrival’ as visitors approach the Crystal Cave area at the trailhead area.
- Improve tour operations and the visitor experience by providing an adequate visitor services kiosk.
- Improve the visitor experience on the trail accessing the cave.
- Improve visitor flow at the cave entrance area.
The EA includes a no action alternative and two action alternatives that address the objectives of the plan. We welcome your comments and encourage you to share your thoughts with us. Public comment may be submitted on the NPS PEPC website or you may direct comments regarding this EA to the parks in writing by mail, hand delivery, or fax to:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Attn: Crystal Cave Redevelopment Plan/ EA
47050 Generals Highway
Three Rivers, CA 93271
Fax: (559) 565-4202
All comments must be received by December 4, 2015. Emailed comments will not be accepted. Note that, before including your address, phone number, email address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be aware that your entire comment – including your personal identifying information – may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we would be able to do so.