MAMMOTH LAKES, Calif., July 20, 2023 – Inyo National Forest will open Reds Meadow Road from Minaret Vista to the public tomorrow, July 21 at 8:00 a.m., pending any unforeseen circumstances while clearing hazard trees along the road and in parking lots, while conducting minor pothole repairs on the road.
The Reds Meadow Road, which provides access to Devils Postpile National Monument, is closed for the season but will reopen on July 21. Devils Postpile will remain closed until sanitation facilities are available. Starting July 21, it will be possible to hike to Rainbow Falls from shuttle stop #9.
Important items to note:
- No services are available at the Devils Postpile National Monument (Monument). In order to protect public health, water quality, and other park resources, sanitation facilities must be available before the Monument can open. Plan your trip accordingly and be sure to Leave No Trace.
- There is no water or food available in Reds Meadow Valley except at Reds Meadow Resort.
- Visitors are required to use the mandatory shuttle service provided by the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority (ESTA). There will be no bus service to ESTA stop #6 (see Reds Meadow Shuttle Map).
- Vehicles arriving before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. or any other time when the shuttle buses are not operating are subject to the entrance fee upon exit.
- Access to Rainbow Falls is only available from the Rainbow Falls Trailhead (stop #9).
- Forest campgrounds will not be ready for opening for another two weeks. The Monument’s campground will also remain closed.
- Hazard tree abatement work will continue along Reds Meadow Road, so expect delays. More information will be forthcoming regarding partial and full road closures as a result of the planned reconstruction project.
- Temperatures are forecasted to be hot this weekend in the valley. Please prevent an unnecessary Search-and-Rescue mission: stay hydrated and wear sun protection. Please call 911 if you need assistance.