Bring the Snowshoes, Skis and Sleds as Monday in Fee Free Day in the Sierra National Parks
National Parks, USA- Fee Free Day for Martin Luther Kings Birthday January 18th, provides everyone the opportunity to take a day and enjoy our national parks. In the Sierra, we are blessed with Four National Parks, Yosemite, Lassen Volcanic and Sequoia and Kings Canyon, each with their own unique features and postcard locations.
Yet unlike the summer seasons visitors will find exploring the parks slower and for the most park less accessible as winter this season has brought several feet of snow to the park in the Sierra. Lassen Volcanic National Park has received upward of seven feet of snow this winter and is enjoying phenomenal snowshoeing opportunities.
Lassen Volcanic National Park will also be wrapping up on Monday their annual film festival, this free event celebrating Lassen Volcanic National Park and outdoor recreation through film.
Yosemite National Park will have a normal Monday Schedule but has several events planned and several feet of snow to enjoy:
- 9:00am Camera Walk 1.5 hrs. Sign up in advance at The Ansel Adams Gallery and meet at the Ahwahnee Hotel. (TAAG)
- 10:30am Snowshoe Walk – Explore the Forest in Winter 2 hrs. Conditions permitting, meet at Badger Pass office A-frame for naturalist tour of winter landscape. Bring warm clothing; Snowshoes provided. (NPS)
- 2:00pm Ranger Walk – Yosemite’s First People 1.5 hrs. Front of Yosemite Museum, near shuttle, stops #5/#9. (NPS)
- 2:00pm History of Bracebridge Talk (December 14 Only) 45 mins. The Ahwahnee Winter Club Room. (DN)
- 7:00pm Evening Film 1 hr. Yosemite Lodge Cliff Room. (DN)
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks also have snow conditions meaning sledding, snowshoe and skiing opportunities are abundant. Plus on Holidays Snowshoe walks are usually offered at Wuksachi Lodge on Saturdays and holidays when conditions permit. The park provides snowshoes free for the two-hour, one-mile walk. Group size is limited, so reserve your place at any visitor center or by calling the Giant Forest Museum at 559-565-4480 for the Wuksachi walk.
*** All snowshoe walks are tentative, and may be canceled due to insufficient snow or other events. A decision will be made by 9 a.m. each morning if a program will be canceled.
All three parks winter Papers can be downloaded below:
[pdf-embedder url=”https://sierrarecmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Winter-2015-2016-web-2.pdf”] [pdf-embedder url=”https://sierrarecmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/yg16-1.pdf”] [pdf-embedder url=”https://sierrarecmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/1516Winter_web.pdf”]