YOUNG LAKES – YOSEMITE HIGH ALPINE HIKE
A perfect beginner backpacking experience in Yosemite National Park Back country.
This Three Lake destination is a Sierra Rec Magazine Favorite in Yosemite National Park. three unique and beautiful high Alpine Lakes perched on a Ridge line between Ragged Peak and White Mountain, and neighboring the popular climbing of Mt Conness.
Young Lakes is a Moderate Rated Hike approx. 7 miles from Tuolumne meadows. The trail crosses several high Alpine Meadows on its way up to Ragged Peak and around to the lake region. Camping and Fishing is accessible from each lake. With the Lower Lake being the most popular for camping and the Upper Lake being the most secluded (however less trees for protection.)
This Backpacking trip does require a permit and is controlled by the Park to keep the Wilderness crowd experience to a minimum daily.
- 13-15 miles Round Trip
- Two Primary Trail Options:
- Upper Dog Lake Trail (Parking Lyell Canyon trail Parking)
- Tuolumne Meadows Glen Aulin Trail
- Elevation Gain: 1,389 feet
- Trailhead: Tuolumne Meadows, elevation 8,584 feet.
- Highest point on the trail: 9,973 feet.
- Lower Young Lake elevation: 9,880 feet.